Melanie (Mel) Sullivan, Ed.D., has been named Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer at Ecumen,...
Sign up for Changing Aging News
Questions to Ask When Comparing Assisted Living Communities
Following are key questions we encourage you to answer to help you evaluate and choose an assisted living community that provides a good fit for you.
At A Glance
- Is the assisted living community attractive and inviting?
- Is it conveniently located within a safe area?
- Can family and friends get there easily?
- Is it close to shopping, or other local amenities?
- Do the employees and residents appear happy and engaged?
- Is there parking for my car?
- Does the site make it easy for me to talk with/interview other residents to get their insights on living there?
- How does this community empower its residents?
- Does this community have an online presence and does it provide internet access?
- What fitness and learning opportunities are here?
- Will the spiritual services offered meet my needs?
- Can I spend a day here observing to see what life is like?
- Can I see myself enjoying living here and doing the things that I enjoy most?
- Are dining areas convenient to the living spaces?
- Are there choices for dining times and menu items?
- What are examples of planned activities and do they change depending on individual interests?
- What transportation is available?
- Can I see your rule book?
- What are my options for supportive and care services?
- Is the staff accommodating and friendly?
- Can I talk with them one-on-one to learn more about their views on the community?
- Are they readily available or on-call to assist?
- What type of training do the staff members receive?
- Is there a nurse on staff? What are the nurse’s hours and responsibilities?
- Will the staff members assist to coordinate medical or other appointments?
- What types of services are outside of the staff’s work scope?
- Who decides when to call 911? Are there written policies about how that decision is made?
- What kind of emergencies are the staff expected to handle and how are they trained for them?
- Is there an emergency call system in the building?
- Is this site easy to navigate?
- Is it well-lit, comfortable and clean?
- Are common areas easily accessible from the residential apartments/ suites?
- If more than one level, are there elevators?
- What types of amenities are available (i.e. media center, beauty/barber salon, library, exercise equipment, computer, convenience shop, deli, etc.).
- Can you decorate your home the way you want (i.e. paint colors, window treatments, etc.)?
- What is the choice of floor plans?
- Are pets allowed?
- Is there adequate privacy and quiet?
Supportive Services and Care
- What is the assessment process?
- How do you get to know me as a person and support the lifestyle I desire?
- What services are provided in the monthly rent?
- What additional services are available for changing physical needs?
- Are these services offered within packages or on a fee-for-service basis?
- What are physical conditions that might require a resident to move to another location?
- How much could my costs increase if I need more services?
- If I can’t pay my rent, will I have to move?