Changing Aging Blog
Sign up for Changing Aging News
Thinking about an assisted living for yourself or a loved one? It’s a major decision requiring lots of due diligence. We take pride in helping you find the right solution for you, regardless of whether you chose one of our communities.
To help you start the process, below are 10 questions to get you thinking as you start to shop and compare. It’s just a sampling. There are many more questions you need to ask. For a more complete list go to Ecumen.org’s Resource section under assisted living.
1. Is the community attractive, inviting, and in a safe area close to important amenities?
2. Do the employees and residents appear happy and engaged?
3. Is this site easy to navigate, well-lit, comfortable and clean?
4. Does the site make it easy for me to talk with/interview other residents to get their insights on living there?
5. Can I see myself enjoying living here and doing the things that I enjoy most?
6. Is the staff accommodating and friendly?
7. What type of training do the staff members receive?
8. What types of amenities are available (i.e. media center, beauty/barber salon, library, exercise equipment, computer, convenience shop, deli, etc.).
9. Are dining areas convenient to the living spaces, and are there choices for dining times and menu items?
10. How much could my costs increase if I need more services?