Two Ecumen Lakeshore caregivers answered a desperate knock on the door in the middle of the night -- and they saved a life.
Changing Aging Blog
Sign up for Changing Aging News
Creating home with you.
We envision a world without Ageism.
Our Core Values
Serve: We put people at the heart of what we do.
Innovate: We find new ways to exceed people's expectations.
Empower: We encourage people to dream and take action.
Honor: We treat people with dignity and respect.
What We Do
Ecumen operates a variety of senior housing options and services, including cooperative senior housing, independent living, assisted living, long-term care, short-term rehabilitation care, home care and hospice. In addition to our consumer services, we provide senior housing development, clinical consulting and senior housing management services for organizations outside of Ecumen.
- Ecumen is a 501(c)(3) organization that is led by a 15-member board of trustees.
- Trustees are elected by the Members Assembly, which are representatives of each of the six Minnesota synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA). Ecumen does not receive financial support from the ELCA. Its revenue is generated through operations and fundraising.
- Kathryn Roberts was appointed as Ecumen's chief executive officer and president in 2003.
Annual Revenues and Operations
- 2017 revenues were $161.9 million, based on our Consolidated Financial Statement.
- Ecumen currently operates in more than 30 cities in Minnesota, Idaho, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota, Tennessee and Wisconsin.
Philanthropy Report to the Community
Ecumen is honored by the generous support of private donors, corporations and foundations. Learn more about our fundraising efforts, innovative programs and those who support our changing aging efforts in Ecumen's 2016 Philanthropy Report.
Employees and Customers
- Ecumen-owned and -managed communities employ nearly 4,000 employees and serve nearly 20,000 customers annually.
- Ecumen has been named ten times by The Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal as one of Minnesota's "Best Places to Work.” We’ve also been recognized as a top place to work by the Minneapolis Star Tribune and Minnesota Monthly Magazine.